Flexibilization of Top Level Domains

It just ocurred to me that if registration of TLDs (like .com) were open to anyone, URLs would be instantly turned into usernames.

As an example, if I could register my own TLD .secchis, I could deploy content under the jon.secchis internet domain, which is precisely the semantic of regular internet usernames.

With limited knowledge of the Domain Name System, I can hypothesize that a massive increase in the pool of TLDs would overwhelm Domain Servers around the world, creating problems of both availability and consistency in the name resolution process.

However, I guess that it is possible to adapt and improve the current system (say nDNS, or “New Domain Name System”), so that relaxing TLD registration would not degrade the current infrastructure.

I believe changes like this would be a huge step towards the democratization of the web.

What are your opinions on this?

1 Like

About the incentives to make this leap with flexible TLDs, I think that is very clear that the registration process can keep the same market structure, only with much more players.

TLD controllers could still profit by charging yearly subscriptions from users. It will eventually just be users paying other users.

Since both offer and demand would rise significantly in response to the inceased number of options of TLDs, prices should go down, also making such piece of infrastructure accessible to more people. Maybe prices could be fixed?

As for infrastructure, the controller of a TLD would need a managed cloud solution to host their Name Servers. This would further develop the market of Cloud solutions, and could give rise to new Startups e technologies.

1 Like